For me 2016 was a year filled with ups and downs. I think a lot of us can’t believe the number of celebrities that we lost in 2016. I mean who knew that Prince, George Michael and Alan Rickman would all die in the same year? Others of us are still in shock over the election. Personally, I grew my Instagram and blog and moved from Fort Worth to Seattle. It was completely an unexpected move. I have decided that my last post of 2016 should include my top 5 things that I discovered and/or loved about 2016. Let’s end the year on a positive so note so hear goes:
- Awesomely Luvvie – If you aren’t reading her blog, well get busy. She will make your sides hurt from laughing so much. Her Game of Thrones recaps were life. Also, Luvvie published a book in 2016 where she judges everyone including herself. It’s a great read and will make you think about how you are living in this world. Are you doing good things? Awesomely Luvvie Blog
- Meaghan Elderkin Knowlton – During the election I came across Meaghan’s napkin art. Meaghan was drawing napkin art and packing it in her daughter’s lunches every day. Some were cute, I mean who doesn’t love a Beyonce inspired squirrel napkins while others featured strong women and their words. Meaghan’s art has resonated with me and I’m in love. I wish that I had thought of educating my children this way. I doubt that children are learning about Madeline Albright, Sally Ride and Malala Yousafzai in school. It opens the door to conversations with your children. Check out Meaghan’s work at Meaghan Elderkin Knowlton
- Beautiful Booze – I discovered this Instagram account by accident and was immediately hooked. The photos taken by Natalie are just amazing. But if you look past the photos, you can find some damn good cocktail recipes. She makes the recipes easy for the home mixologist which in these days of throw everything in a glass is a rare find. I have just found out that Natalie is a fellow North Carolinian and Wolfpack lover. Go check out her IG or her blog at Beautiful Booze
- Thailand – Y’all I’m in love with this country and its’ people. Seriously I’d leave right now if someone said “here’s your ticket.” It was a life changing trip and the best vacation that I’ve ever had. I’m currently planning a trip to Vietnam and Laos for the upcoming year. Southeast Asia has won my heart and I must return. This quote from Anthony Bourdain pretty much sums it up, ” Southeast Asia has a real grip on me. From the very first time I went there, it was a fulfillment of my childhood fantasies of the way travel should be.” Read more about my trip to Thailand here Thailand – vacation recap
- You – That’s right you all are on my list. The people who have taken the time to sit down with me and talk about their businesses, their lives, and their passions. It has been so amazing to discover Cowtown and now Seattle. I have made so many new friends. I truly believe that everyone has a story that needs to be told no matter how small. And to the people who have followed me whether it’s on Facebook, here or Instagram. The fact that you are interested in what I’m doing simply amazes me every single day. A special thank you to Ashley Sartain and Karly Johnston who helped me seriously kick off my blog. Y’all check them out on IG @sellingthefort. To my best friends, Natalie, Samantha, Sara and Krissie, even though we are so many miles apart, thank you for all of your love and support throughout this crazy year. And finally, to my husband, Rob, I wouldn’t want to do this life with anyone else. Thank you for letting me drag you along on all of these blog interviews and taking the photos. Y’all go follow him on IG @rrecoonu. His pictures are amazing.